How to Prepare coconut milk – Coconut milk is a white, milky substance extracted from the flesh of mature coconuts. It may benefit health in several ways, such as by stimulating weight loss and lowering cholesterol.
It can also add flavor to sweet and savory dishes and serve as an alternative to dairy milk.
You can also read my article on How to Make Natural Pink Lips Balm at Home by clicking here.
Coconut water is the liquid inside a coconut, while coconut milk comes fromTrusted Source the fruit’s white flesh. Products available include coconut milk as a dairy alternative, coconut cream for cooking, and coconut milk beverages.
In this article, we will be discussing how to make coconut milk, it uses and health benefits.
The recipe for this coconut milk is 2 whole coconut and after making the milk, you can also use the chaff to make something else which you will learn in this article.
Related: How to Prepare Zobo Drink at Home
How to Prepare delicious coconut milk
- Wash the coconut nicely and break off the shell with a hammer. Once the coconut shell is broken open and transfer the coconut water in a bowl if there is any then set it aside.
- Next, use a knife to take the coconut out from the shell. (Note: You need a table knife that is not sharp to do this so you don’t hurt yourself).
- Next up, chop the coconut into smaller pieces to make the work easy for the blender.
- Give the coconut a quick rinse then transfer into a blender, add hot water and blend. (Note: The hot water added helps to extract enough coconut milk).
- Afterwards, transfer the blended coconut milk inside a nut bag, tie up the bag and squeeze out the coconut milk completely. (Note: You can also use a strainer to strain out the coconut milk too).
- Transfer the coconut milk in a jar and place inside the refrigerator.
The coconut chaff can be used for the following;
- Coconut swallow
- Coconut flakes
- Coconut cookies
- Coconut flour
- Coconut cake
The chaff is never ever a waste
Uses of coconut milk
There are plenty of opportunities to add coconut milk to meals and drinks. It is a staple ingredient in some Nigerian and intercontinental dishes.
Here are some of the uses of coconut milk
- Cereal: Try replacing dairy milk with coconut milk.
- Smoothies: Use coconut milk in any smoothie or try this recipe for a healthy coconut milk smoothie.
- Soups: Use coconut milk as a base for any creamy soup, such as Tom Kha, a Thai coconut soup.
- Oatmeal: Use coconut milk as the liquid in oatmeal. Bring a can of coconut milk to a boil. Stir in 1 cup of oats. Cook for 15 minutes or until the milk is absorbed. Top with fruit and cinnamon.
- Sauces: Add coconut milk to sauces, as in this cashew nut curry.
People can use coconut milk products as part of a plant-based diet in place of dairy milk products.
Health Benefits of Coconut Milk
1. It helps in weight loss
Coconut milk is rich in short and medium chain triglycerides that are considered to be healthy fats. They prolong the feeling of satiety causing you to eat less and avoid giving in to cravings.
In addition, they are more likely to be converted to energy as opposed to longer chain fatty acids. These are preferentially stored in the body contributing towards obesity.
2. It contains antioxidants
Coconut milk is rich in vitamins C and E that are well known for their anti-oxidant properties. Free oxygen radicals are formed by our body tissues during the process of metabolism.
They are harmful to cellular components and contribute towards aging and tumor growth. Antioxidants contained in coconut milk help to neutralize these harmful substances.
3. It helps in Electrolyte balancing
Coconut milk is rich in electrolytes such as potassium, magnesium and phosphorous. Potassium is important for maintenance of a normal heart rhythm. It is also crucial for healthy muscle functioning.
Magnesium is required for a healthy immune system as well as maintenance of normal nerve and muscle function. Phosphorus is a vital structural component of bones and teeth. By adding coconut milk to your recipes, you ensure that the body has enough supply of phosphorous to meet these requirements.
4. It prevents heart disease
Coconut milk is known to increase the levels of HDL cholesterol in the body. Scientific research now shows that coconut milk may help to reduce the levels of LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) in the body if consumed in low quantities.
HDL cholesterol has anti-inflammatory properties that protect the endothelium or blood vessel lining. LDL cholesterol, on the other hand, promotes the formation of plaques in blood vessels causing pathological narrowing. When blood vessels supplying the heart muscles are narrowed, heart attacks can result.
5. It helps to strengthens the immune system
Coconut milk contains lauric acid that is known for its antiseptic properties. It assists the body in fighting infections caused by bacteria, viruses, and fungi.
6. It helps in preventing anemia
Coconut milk has significant quantities of iron. Iron is an important mineral in the formation of healthy red blood cells with normal hemoglobin levels.
Incorporating coconut milk into your diet will help you avoid anemia that often results from inadequate iron intake.
7. It aides a healthy hair and beautiful skin
Recently, coconut milk has gained popularity for its use as a conditioning treatment for healthy hair. Its high-fat content acts as a sealant for moisture retention.
When applied to the scalp, coconut milk helps to reduce dandruff and scalp itchiness. This is because it contains lauric acid that has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties.
Coconut milk when applied topically on the skin helps in maintenance of the skin’s elasticity. This effectively reduces wrinkle formation giving you a more youthful appearance.
Its antibacterial properties are said to contribute towards acne prevention. Women across the world now use this product for make-up removal.
8. It serves as Anti-inflammatory properties
Coconut milk aids in the reduction of joint pain and inflammation. Sugar is known to be pro-inflammatory. Substituting it for coconut milk as a sweetener can have remarkable results for those suffering from autoimmune inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and lupus arthritis.
9. Promotes gastrointestinal health
Coconut milk is a healthy substitute for individuals that are lactose intolerant. In addition, it contains Zinc, a mineral that aids in the renewal of the cells that line the intestinal wall.
This prevents the translocation of harmful bacteria from the intestinal lumen into the blood stream and reduces the incidence of diarrhea.
Coconut milk is a versatile ingredient and an excellent milk alternative. Like other coconut products, it has more health benefits.
Consuming moderate amounts of coconut milk may help lower cholesterol and promote weight loss. The antioxidants it contains may also help protect the body from health issues. Follow our Facebook page by clicking here to stay updated on DiY.