Mo Ibrahim Foundation – The Centre of African Studies offers 1 PhD scholarship to African nationals as part of the Governance for Development in Africa Initiative funded by the Mo Ibrahim Foundation.
Applications are invited for PhD studentships focused on the area of state capacities, governance and bureaucracy for development. This may include projects designed to understand public sector governance capabilities, political settlements, state business relations, the governance of state owned enterprises, the governance of development policy design and implementation, and so on. But applications must focus on the public sector/state/civil service, on governance, and on development.
About Mo Ibrahim Foundation
The Mo Ibrahim Foundation (MIF) is an African foundation, established in 2006 with one focus: the critical importance of governance and leadership in Africa. It is our belief that governance and leadership lie at the heart of any tangible and shared improvement in the quality of life of African citizens.
LEADERSHIP AND GOVERNANCE IN AFRICA Leadership is about making choices, defining priorities, and taking risks. Governance is about properly documenting and effectively implementing these choices. Africa has made considerable progress over the last decade.
Aim and Benefits of Mo Ibrahim Foundation GDAI PhD Scholarship
- Scholarship is fully-funded
Requirements for Mo Ibrahim Foundation GDAI PhD Scholarship Qualification
- Must first secure an unconditional offer for the PhD at SOAS University of London in eligible departments.
- Must have obtained relevant bachelor and master’s degree from a recognized institution of higher learning.
- Demonstrate excellent educational and leadership abilities.
Documents Required for Application
- A copy of the unconditional offer received from SOAS admissions office
- CV (please include your email address)
- 2 pages max statement outlining knowledge and interest in governance-related issues
- Your research proposal (as sent to the SOAS Admissions Office)
- one academic reference (to be sent directly by referee to [email protected])
March 31, 2023
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Mo Ibrahim Foundation on docs.google.com to apply
- In order to be considered for funding, applicants must first secure an UNCONDITIONAL OFFER for the PhD by applying directly to the SOAS Doctoral School.
- Once the place is secured, the applicants can apply for the scholarship. Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a panel consisting of SOAS academic members. The assessment of your application will be based on the information in your scholarship application.
NOTE: By 31st of March you must have an Unconditional offer for PhD in order to be considered for funding. Note that it takes 8 weeks to receive an offer of admission for PhD, therefore to apply for the PhD at least or before January 2023. For more details, visit SOAS website