Mr Joseph Aloba, father of late Nigerian singer, Ilerioluwa Aloba, known professionally as Mohbad, has revealed that the demand for DNA test for the late singer’s son has become a global matter and is no longer limited to Nigeria.

The issue of the paternity of Mohbad’s five-month-old son has become a topic of discussion since the singer’s demise with some social media users demanding that the late rapper’s wife submit her son for a DNA test to clear herself from those doubting her loyalty to Mohbad.

Speaking during an interview with the BBC Pidgin Service which was seen by our correspondent on Tuesday, Mohbad’s father emphasised the strong bond he shared with his late son, describing their relationship as that of close companions who interacted like brothers.

Aloba said, “This thing has come to the majority now, not only Nigeria. So they should do the proper thing at the proper time.”

Mohbad died on September 12, 2023, in Lagos State.

While describing Mohbad as a simple and modest individual, Aloba added that the duo had known each other at a very tender age at Oke-Iletu, Ikorodu, Lagos, before they were able to reconnect at Naira Marley’s label.

He, however, noted that before they reconnected, there was no string attached between them. Wunmi is said to have given birth to Liam, son of the deceased.

Clarifying this through the song “Komajensun” which Mohbad sang in 2020 featuring Naira Marley, Aloba spoke of a lyric, “Naira lo gbe omo fun mi, I’m not a womaniser”, in the song referencing how Mohbad reconnected with Wunmi at Marlian record.

“He (Mohbad) met the lady (Wunmi) there (at Marlian Music) but they had known each other from Oke-Iletu, even though the lady was a student then,” Aloba disclosed to this reporter.

The Lagos State Police Command has commenced an investigation to unravel the circumstances leading to the artiste’s death.

Meanwhile, the Coroner’s inquest into the death of Mohbad has fixed October 13, 2023, for witnesses to appear before it.

Attorney Funmi Falana, who represented Mohbad’s family, alongside other lawyers, had closed-door proceedings to discuss the modalities for hearing of evidence.

Speaking to the journalist after the proceedings, Falana said, “What we did today was to decide how and when the procedures would help get justice. The date has been fixed and we will be bringing our witnesses.”